Meron Abigail Tote
We love the versatility of our Meron Abigail Tote as it offers 3 different options for use! Attach the adjustable shoulder strap and wear it as a crossbody or remove the strap and carry it by the handles. You will also find a removable wristlet on the inside that can be carried on its own. Treat yourself to this sleek bag or give it as a gift to a loved one in your life!
Our Meron Abigail Tote is named after our dear friend and partner, Abigail Cancelliere of HarlinHouseAtlanta who accompanied our Executive Director, Beth Bell, on her Spring 2023 trip to Africa.
This tote is handmade by artisans coming out of poverty in Ethiopia. Our artisan group leader, Meron, provides them with the opportunity to learn a new skill and earn a living wage. Your purchase will help us provide purposeful work for these artisans.
- 11" wide, 11" tall, 2" deep
- Removable/adjustable crossbody strap- 48" long, 0.75" wide
- Removable wristlet- 9.25" wide, 6.25" tall, wrist strap- 4.5" long
- 100% genuine leather*
- Leather is sourced locally and ethically in Ethiopia
- Dark Brown Leather/Suede has both leather and suede
- Adjustable and removable strap
- Removable interior wristlet
- Leather and suede are soft to the touch
- There may be natural flaws and slight color variations in the leather
- *Our artisans in Ethiopia source leather from animals that are first a product of the local meat industry, which contributes to a circular economy and ensures that no animals are hurt for the production of our products. Artisans use vegetable dyes to produce rich, vibrant colors that are both renewable and sustainable.
- Handmade in: Ethiopia
Artisan group leader: Meron (scroll down to learn more about Meron and her artisans)
Meron Abigail Tote
Where it's made
Ethiopia is an East African nation and has the lowest level of income-inequality in Africa and one of the lowest in the world. It is one of the poorest nations in the world, and its capital Addis Ababa is where we find stunning jewelry, handbags and other leather accessories all handcrafted by vulnerable women. We partner with artisan groups serving women overcoming extreme poverty as well as women infected with HIV/AIDS. Many products are up-cycled and repurposed out of bullet casings and other materials to create eco-friendly and beautiful products from past violence.
How it's made
One of our newest partners, Meron encourages and employs primarily women (80% of her team is female), giving impoverished women a chance to learn a new skill and provide a living wage with which to support their families. Meron supports her artisans additionally through in-house trainings on issues relevant to the women, encouraging all of the artisans to reach their dreams. Meron has a fabulous sense of design and brings a level of quality and workmanship uncommon in many countries. Her vision is to create high quality leather products ethically and efficiently, implementing sustainable fashion into her business model.